Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Week 5: Storytelling: The Birth of Hanuman

The Birth of Hanuman

“Caesar, it is time for bed,” the mother monkey said.

“Awww man, but I don’t want to yet,” begged Caesar.

“Now!”

“Okay, okay, I’m coming, but will you read me a bedtime story?”

“Yes, I will Caesar. Now  get into your pajamas and come to bed. I will find you a story that you haven’t read before. I am quite tired of reading you the same bedtime stories over and over!” Mother said while smiling at Caesar. “Okay, let’s see here… Hmmm. Ravana and the Monkey...or Rama’s Exile. Sita’s Captu- No. AH! Here we are! I will tell you the story of Hanuman. Specifically the beginning.”

“This book is called the Birth of Hanuman,” the mother said while reaching for the book on the shelf. “He is a monkey like you! Do you want to hear this story?

“Yes!” exclaimed Caesar.

 "The story begins at the center of the surface of the Earth, Mount Meru. Since Meru is on the center of the planet, the sun will appear to just rotate circles around you 24/7! It is always bright there and  the bright sunlight had turned the mountain into solid gold. Luckily enough the solid gold ground didn't hinder the flowers from blooming, or the grass and trees growing. It was a beautiful place. There was water, animals, and birds that lived on the hill.

Lord Brahma comes down to earth whenever he wants to just relax, and the place he chooses to go is Mount Meru. One day while resting, Lord Brahma shed a tear from his eye and it fell down onto the solid ground. It was at that exact spot the first money was born.

Brahma called him Riksharaja. He decided to stay at Meru for a while to keep the Riksharaja company. The monkey played all day and ate fruit whenever he liked. Every evening he would put flowers at Brahma’s feet.

One day Riksharaja saw his own reflection when he bent over to take a drink of water. He thought that it was an enemy trying to steal his supply, so he jumped into the pool of water after the thief. There was nobody there, and when he came back up from the water he was turned into a female! She was the most beautiful monkey girl ever. When Indra, the god of Storms, and Surya the Sun saw her, they had to come down and met Riksharaja. Eventually she bore children from the gods, and they were two gold-colored babies. Riksharaja and Brahma named them Vali and Sugriva.

Brahma then gave the city of Kishkindhya to Vali. He became the Monkey King, and growing up he always got whatever he wanted. Riksharaja didn’t want Sugriva to be left out so she went and asked Vayu, the God of the Winds, to father a son. Vayu and Anjana,who was an apsara previously named Puñjikastalā then gave birth to Hanuman. He was a small monkey with white fur and a red face with brownish-yellow eyes. Anjana left Hanuman all alone by the mouth of a small cave.


Almost a whole day went by and no one came to feed Hanuman, and as the day began Hanuman stared at the sky and ran into the Sun. He thought that it looked like a giant Mango fruit. As soon as he saw this, Hanuman licked his lips and leaped up into the air after the Sun. On his way there, his father the Wind blew a steady cool breeze all over Hanuman so that be wouldn’t be burned by the Sun’s rays. As Hanuman approached Surya the Sun he smiled and opened his mouth nice and wide. Hanuman was spell-bound!  They all looked like fruits! Hanuman took off and bit Rahu’s ear, and went with his arms and legs swinging for Indra. Indra hit him with the flat side of his thunderbolt and he came crashing down back to earth breaking his jaw. Vayu was angry and raced to hold his son. Brahma came back to earth and healed Hanuman. Surya came down and smiled at Hanuman while giving him three large mangos for him when he woke up.

Hanuman would grow up to become a loyal friend to Sugriva and eventually help Rama on his quest to save Sita and vanquish Ravana. He just didn’t know it yet."
THE END

Caesar was already asleep.

Author's Note
This week I decided to re-tell the story of the Birth of Hanuman. If you noticed that I used the main characters stories name Caesar. I got the idea from the movie "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." The reason I chose to write about this story was because I found it to be a very funny story within the Ramayana. Hanuman is one of the most important characters in the Ramayana, and I just wanted to remind readers how he came to be. It can be easily overlooked because there are many small stories in the Ramayana. I basically retold the same story from Buck's book, and I only left out some small details here and there like when Vayu and Anjana conceived,  and Hanuman's role on earth. One thing that I decided to do for my story was to tell it as a bedtime story. I got this idea from the Storytelling Ideas page and it stuck with me. I chose to use a bedtime story setting because I believe it is the best way to explain his story in a fun and innocent way to a kid. I wanted to focus most on Hanuman, so that is why I left out some dialogue and information of other characters in the story like Rahu. Besides kids ill just fall asleep if the story becomes too long or confusing.  

9 comments:

  1. What a cute storytelling style :) I liked that this was told from mother monkey to her baby. I giggled when she told him to put on his pjs. Like, what pajamas do monkeys wear? Lol

    I noticed you typed "get" instead of "bed" and "quiet" instead of "quite" in the fifth line of dialogue.

    I also think I would remove "Alright." from the beginning of the story of Hanuman, and I would put quotations in front of the first word of Hanuman's story (The) and the last word (END). The word "to" needs to be between "appear" and "just" in that first paragraph of the story. The sentence about the sunlight would make more sense if you removed "because of" and "it". "Sold" should be "solid," and perhaps a better word than "affect," in this sense, would be "hinder". Otherwise I would say, "didn't affect the blooming of flowers or the growth of trees and grasses."

    In the fourth paragraph of the main story, you forgot to add "saw" between "Riksharaja" and "his own reflection". Also, "colered" should be "colored". There doesn't need to be a comma between "Riksharaja" and "and Brahma".

    In the last paragraph you typed "day" instead of "by". I also think that Rahu needs a bit more description, even though I know who he is from the reading. I wouldn't have a clue who he was from reading that brief mention of him.

    Wonderful choice of story, and I liked the way you re-told it. Very concisely written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Anthony! I also really liked this part of this week's reading. I think it's cool how you told it as a bedtime story. Your dialogue at the beginning was great, and it was cute that Caesar was already asleep by the end of the story. I think you did a really good job making it sound like a story for young monkeys while also maintaining all of the important detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent job! I love how you made it into a bedtime story, especially how you clarified that Caesar was already asleep at the end of the story. It was very funny and so so cute! Your dialogue at the beginning was perfect, it sounded exactly like my mom trying to find a new story to tell me. Great Job! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your story! I like that you set it up to be a bedtime story, told by a mother to her child monkey! I love the excitement you conveyed the child to have. You did an excellent job with the detail in your story within a story. I was able to picture what was happening. I like how you ended the story by giving a quick run down of all the good Hanuman would go on to accomplish in his life!

    Your Text is easy to read. I like the white text against the black background. I think that the mango picture worked with your story, but I think an actual picture of Hanuman would better help the reader to see him and the setting in their minds as they read your story.

    Great job on your story! I look forward to reading more from you in the coming weeks of class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anthony, you did well on introducing your topic between Caesar and his mom. Hanuman is one of my favorite characters in the Ramayan, and I enjoyed reading his birth again. I like how you explicitly indicated that Caesar, and his mom, were mokeys. I feel that this gave the story a more personal feel to your characters. The story was told in a simplisitc matter, and this really worked out well since your audience is a young monkey-boy. I am coming in a little late, and it seems that if you had any grammar or sentence errors before, they are now fixed! The only thing I saw was "This" (in the first sentence of your Author's Note) is not formatted as the same text size when compared to the rest. Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote about the same story. I love Hanuman. He is such a great character in The Ramayana. The story was really easy to make into a bed time story for me. I enjoyed how you had a dialogue between the mother monkey and the baby monkey at the beginning. My story is just the actual story. It makes it really intriguing to see what the monkey thinks about it. Be careful of grammar mistakes while using the dialogues. You seemed to do a good job, but I saw a couple places where you could make some improvements, Those seem to be difficult for me so I am pretty observant of those types of mistakes. You did a great job using paragraph splits so that it is easy for the eyes to read.Finally, the author's note was perfect. It provided a clear idea of what you were intending to accomplish in the story. You did a really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again! I'm excited to read another of your stories! To start with, I liked that you told this story from the point of view of monkeys, saying that this was a monkey just like him because it is important to me that there be that special connection that lets the reader know that it is personal. The details you added in here about the earth and its golden-ness and blooming flowers were beautiful! I liked the details you gave about Riksharaja's birth and early life but I would have liked some more information about why he turned into a female when he came out of the water (even if the original story didn't say anything and you had to speculate or even make something up, because having reasons behind such a drastic change like it was magical water or something, especially for a small child's story, would be a good thing). Overall I loved this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anthony!
    For starters, I love the way your story is laid out. The bedtime story idea is very cute and original. I also agree that if a story is way too long and detailed that it is very difficult to keep up. Turning it into a children’s bedtime story keeps it light and innocent while still getting the message across to the readers. I really love that you told the story of Hanuman’s origin, mostly because he is my favorite character in the Ramayana. I like that you included details such as the mountain turning gold from the continuous sunlight and the green beauty that still exists. Adding Cesar was a cute excerpt from the movie and I loved that you added that originality to your story. Most of all, I enjoyed how you stayed along the main storylines. This is a wonderful story that doesn’t need to be changed so thank you for that! Cute mango pic also. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anthony,

    I really enjoyed your story! I like how you integrated both Caesar and his mother, plus the story of Hanuman. It was like a story within a story. I always find I like reading children's stories because they are always in a much simpler format. I have noticed throughout the semester that sometimes these stories become confusing (especially the names), so it is nice to read a shortened and simpler version. I thought you did a good job of making the story more adaptable as a bedtime story. I honestly think a child would have been interested, but poor Caesar fell asleep! Overall, I think your writing style is very clean and concise. I like how you added in a bit of dialogue in the beginning, it helped to even out the story. Great job!
    P.S. I like how you picked a mango for the picture!

    ReplyDelete