Thursday, April 2, 2015

Week 11 Storytelling: The Lesson Learned

James came running into the house screaming and crying. I had just gotten done with the dishes and went to go see what was wrong with. When I found him, it looked like he had some dirt on his knees and shirt. It must have been one of those bullies.

He wrapped his hands around my waist and said, “Mommy! Charley hit me and kept pushing me down! In front of everyone too. It is not fair; he is bigger than me!”
“Did you  tell Mrs. Carter?” I replied.

“Yes. She sent him to the office, but he still will push me around on the playground. He will not ever just leave me alone,” James said.

“Listen, James, let me tell you a quick story that you will be able to apply in your situation.”

“In the old days, there was more jungle than there is today. No cities, or towns. Wild elephants were numerous. Once upon a time a red ant and a black ant were burrowing in the ground. Suddenly, a wild elephant appeared and said, “Why are you burrowing here? I will smash all of your work to pieces.”

“Why do you talk to us like this?” the ants replied. “Do not despise us because we are small; as a matter of fact we are better than you in some ways.”

The elephant laughed and told the ants not to talk nonsense. "There is nothing that  ants can beat me in," the elephant said. "I am the largest and most powerful animal." The ants weren't bothered by his speech, and they challenged him to a race. Whoever wins will declare to being the supreme creature.

Once the elephant heard this challenge, he became enraged. He shouted, “Well, come we will start at once,” and he set off to run with all its strength. When it got tired, it looked down at the ground, and saw two ants.

Off the elephant went again, and when it stopped and looked down, there on the ground were two ants again, so it ran some more. Whenever the elephant stopped, it saw the ants, and at last it ran so far that it dropped down from exhaustion, never to bother the ants again. The End.”

“Now, you see James, ants are more numerous in this world than any other kind of living creature, and what happened was that the two ants never even ran the race. They stayed where they were, but whenever the elephant looked at the ground, it saw some ants running about and thought that they were the first two, and so it ran away and fell from exhaustion.

The End."


This story teaches you, James, not to worry about the bigger and stronger bully. God knows why He made all of the different animals and people of all different shapes and sizes. Some boys are fools, and you just have to outsmart them. Be the ant and not the elephant!

Ant Colony - Wikimedia

Author's Note

This week I decided to base my story off of the "The Elephant and the Ants" in the Santal Folklore unit in the Un-textbook. The reason why I chose to write about this story is that I believe that this story has so much meaning behind it, and so many lessons came be learned from it whether or you are telling the story to a child or a coworker.

The elephant is seen as the bully in the story. He sees the ants, and threatens to destroy their home for no apparent reason. I wanted the elephant to be a parallel character for Charley. In the story that is being told to James, the ants are supposed to represent him.


I kept the story about the elephant almost exactly the same. The only major change that I had was that instead of the elephant running itself to death, I decided to make him fall over from exhaustion. The reason I chose to do this was because since this story was being told to a child, I didn’t want to use the explicit of the Elephant (bully) dying. This could create problems in the real world that James is in if he goes to school saying that James is going to die one day! I think that it was more realistic to exclude that part from the story. Most parents do not want their kid telling others that they are going to die. 

Bibliography:
This story is from the Santal Folklore unit.
Folklore of the Santal Parganas by Cecil Henry Bompas (1909).

8 comments:

  1. Hi Anthony!
    I really enjoyed reading your story. I haven't read that unit yet in the Un-Textbook, so I haven't read the original. I like that this was a story told to a child. I think you did a great job. It is always fun writing a story like it is being told to a child. I also love the moral at the end of the story. I think that you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony! I liked how you tied this story with a modern moral. There were a few typos and spelling errors that you might look into. But the story was really good and you elaborated on it well. I have not read this story yet but you did such a good job describing it that I had no issues following along. Good jon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony,
    I really enjoyed your story! I think it was a good idea to censor the elephant's death. You're right, that might have been a bad message for a child! I think it was creative to apply the myth to a modern day issue. Many of these folk-tales still apply today. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anthony!

    I really liked your story. It makes sense that you would use the morals from the fable “The Elephants and the Ants” to serve as a teaching moment for the little James. I feel like this also applies because a lot of times victims of bullies help cope with it by sticking with friends. Maybe James could take some lessons from an ant colony and stick with some friends to be with peers (or even witnesses) if Charley ever starts to give him trouble again!

    I’m glad you changed the elephant in your story to fall over from exhaustion rather than dying. I like that your story has the bully/elephant suffering from exhaustion and gives the impression that they will change their ways because what they are doing is pointless because if the bully/elephant just dies there is no real change!

    Overall, great story! It was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this story! I have not read the original, but you thoroughly explained the changes you made in your own version. I think it was wise to omit the elephant's death from the story as it was told by the mother to her young child. It still conveys the same message and teaches the young boy not to be afraid of the bully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony,

    First, I love that you have a welcoming statement for your portfolio. I might have to edit mine and copy your idea!

    I read ‘The Lesson Learned.’ I enjoyed your story especially because of the dialogue you maintained throughout. However, I am sad that the elephant was the antagonist (I really love elephants), but I understand that’s how the originally story is and that these are just stories. I do appreciate that you didn’t kill off the elephant like the originally did and your logic behind it.

    One suggestion I have for you is to change ‘it’ to ‘he’ in your last sentence of your eighth paragraph. Also, I’m not sure if you meant to have two ‘The End’ statements.

    You did a great job with your author’s note! I love that you sectioned off the reason you chose to write this story, a summary, and the changes you made. It created a nice flow and aesthetic look for your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In your second sentence, I think you meant "what was wrong with him" rather than "what was wrong with". Also, when she's telling him that she's going to tell him a story it should be "apply to your situation" rather than "apply in your situation". In your paragraph that starts with "The elephant laughed..." the last sentence needs to stay in past tense like the sentence before it, so "Whoever won would be declared the supreme creature." In the next paragraph it should be "and he set off running with all of his strength" rather than "to run". Also in that paragraph, your pronoun use changes from "he/him" to "it" so you should pick one and stick to it throughout the whole story. I don't see that "the end" needs to be repeated again when she's telling him the point of the story, it sounds a little repetitive and could just as easily be left out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Anthony,

    You have such an amazing talent for creating a picture with your words. Every time I read one of your stories I feel as though I can actually see everything that is happening, and that is truly a talent. You did an excellent job of capturing how a mother would have handled this situation: the human condition of storytelling as advice. I especially loved that you kept the wording clear and simple and refrained from using big words. It was cute how James kept interjecting in his mother’s story, which was good nuance to include. It definitely made your story more life like.

    I do think that you should check the wording of the last sentence in the seventh paragraph. I feel like it was supposed to be, “whoever wins this will be declared the supreme creature.” It just sounded a little bit off.

    Oh my gosh! This story sounds exactly like I story I read in another unit, only it was a snail and a stag (deer) instead of an ant and an elephant! You did a much better job of retelling the story than I did. I would have never thought of using the story as advise to combat a bully! I understand that all of the stories are supposed to teach a lesson, but your idea was surreal! I love it! I especially liked the last paragraph. That is some very good advise that could be applied to everyone’s life.

    ReplyDelete